This poem was by far the most challenging to create. After e-mailing the form creator, Lisa Lajeunesse, and asking for a few pro-tips for how to think to develop such a poem, I was successful in creating a poem about my daughter and other things I'm passionate about: Earth Science & magical fantasy.
The modulor poem form was tricky for me because, like the Miura-Ori poem form from earlier blog posts, the separate sections need to be able to be read together, but also be capable of standing alone; not only that but they should be able to be shifted into different positions and still retain (or enhance!) meaning - but maybe not the same meaning as it would create an entirely different thought provoking experience.
My process started with meteorology (tile 1: upper LHS), then after filling the space with its own unique poem, I tried to compare being able to witness and predict the forecast on the planet with magical fortune tellers peering into crystal balls. So line by line, I wrote a similar poem as tile 2 (upper RHS) with a magical twist while cross-checking for meaning and coherence with tile 1. Finally, thematically starting with large-scale global viewing and prediction, zooming into small-scale crystal-ball viewing and prediction (despite both processes looking similar where one is staring into a glowing glass sphere, the other stares into backlit glass rectangular prism with a keyboard), we zoom out (and simultaneously in) to my daughter's bath time and the microcosm of her toys experiencing the changes in environmental conditions invoked by her.
Tile 3 was written separately only needing coherence in inspiration from tiles 1 and 2. The whole poem - once inspired - was a joy to write, but until inspiration struck was quite a daunting challenge! I am hoping to read this at Bridges Conference 2026.
Side note with consistent spelling issue:
No comments:
Post a Comment